Thursday 29 September 2011

SS'12 (2) Fabulous London Fashion Week

I really am terribly behind with these posts, bear with me! Here are my choices from LFW - by choices I mean things that I would gladly wear from day to day, or bizarre outfits that somehow appeal to my inner madwoman (the one that would love to do her supermarket shop in a tartan three-piece suit)
Richard Nicoll; Burberry Prorsum
It seems block colours is still present on the catwalk, but the idea has shifted from solid colours on solid fabrics to easier-to-wear shades on chiffons and sheer materials. It's nice to see that pleat skirts made a reappearance at Burberry, while the Saturn-like rings at Richard Nicoll seem apt in the year of the Olympics...
Acne; Clements Ribiero; Christopher Kane; Clements Ribiero
Far more common than colour blocking was the introduction of prints at LFW. Here, designers have taken inspiration from nature, with tie-dye, flowers, shells all present (and CR on the far-right arranging his pattern in an interpretation of snake print). Yet these prints are far from soft and girly, the top and trousers suggests an androgynous defiance, and the slip of thigh at Christopher Kane references the sexuality of the miniskirt.
Kinder Aggugini; Ann-Sofie Back Atelje; Richard Nicoll
Texture and structuralism was again brought into play, with velvet, silk, sheer, leather and complex tailoring. Ann-Sofie Back Atelje was an incredibly exciting show, and on a personal note I would happily walk out the house in that Nicoll outfit! 
Jonathan Saunders, House of Holland, Paul Smith
Pastels carried on from NYFW, and were heavily plugged by both Saunders and Henry Holland. This blue and yellow midi dress seems like the most perfect ray of sunshine to complement a summer's day, practical enough for England's unpredictable weather yet cooling in the heat of the Mediterranean. I always love the variations on tartan that Holland comes up with, and the playful use of grunge mesh in a preppy polo top is genious. Paul Smith is always a favourite of mine, I find his clothes to die for: masculine yet impeccably tailored to complement the female body.
Temperley London, Giles, Meadham Kirchhoff, Mary Katrantzou
Lastly, enter my inner madwoman. This kimono-style two-piece from Temperley, complete with turban and sunnies, is extravagant and inspiring. Think Gloria Swanson from Sunset Boulevard (not Hailee Steinfeld for Miu Miu). If I was going to be on the red carpet any time soon, I would wear this from Giles-especially if I was Natalie Portman winning an Oscar for Black Swan! By the way, I bet you anything that swans and swan-related items will feature heavily on the high street in the coming months. This outfit by Meadham Kirchhoff is brilliant: part Tudor courtier, part '20s flapper, part burlesque star, part schoolgirl, part old cushion cover, every bit extraordinary. And I raved about my love for Mary Katrantzou in my first ever post, and I still love her crazy prints that really shouldn't work but somehow totally do!

photos from style.com

X

25 comments:

  1. Marni this season has a great collection I think, and it really tells a story.
    I'm already following you :)

    Lau
    http://thenewblacksheep.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that pastel colours continue in London and in Milan.
    I have to say my favourite is Burberry :)

    Lau
    http://thenewblacksheep.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard of some of these designers and i love learning new things about fashion!

    first time to your blog :) hope we can be friends

    http://linconnuedeindochine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the outfits!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything. I enjoy seeing what looks bloggers pick out from the runway!

    Following you - stop by soon! :-)

    xxx

    http://www.oddandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great selection, the outfits look amazing! you have a great blog! hope you'll give mine a visit too, we should follow each other!

    All best wishes,
    Costin M. | http://costinm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. lots of great collections in london this season. i'm from new york and am in london for the semester so it was my first time experiencing it here. very different, but just as amazing. great post! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wauwww lovely outfits, very colourfull

    x Hajar & Mounia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have an amazing hair!

    new post♥mfashionfreak

    Please follow me if you're not already. I'd love to get more followers. I'll follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for commenting on my balenciaga post. i thought it was a great collection. we could definitely follow eachother. i just followed you on blog lovin'. keep in touch!

    x sarah
    www.ahitofsarah.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi there nice pics, check out mines why dont you? Will love you to follow it if u like it http://mwanwan.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I lol'ed at "part cushion cover." Agree with you on that Richard Nicoll pink outfit - as soon as I saw it, I thought "yes!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome and amazing collection! can't wait for summer and spring again!

    xx Kaye
    Fashion Blogger
    http://thestyleflux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your choices! Love the Richard Nicoll dress!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice blog sweety :)
    anyway check out mine if you have a chance sweety :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the first one pics! love those colors*.* Burberry has surprised me this year...:)

    http://udontthinktwice.blogspot.com/

    xx, rachel:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Blog! +Followed :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved looking at these :) thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, so many lovely pieces! That green dress in the top row is definitely an eye-catcher!

    star-crossed smile

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes i would love to follow each other! ^^

    linconnuedeindochine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great shows from this season, I adore the Burberry looks x

    ReplyDelete
  22. temperley takes the cake.

    always.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Paul Smith is being more and more inspiral =) ♥

    http://jonsuejck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting my blog, and double thanks for commenting! x